‘Chad’ is Very Bad

TV’s first Iranian-American sitcom, a disgrace to Iranians, and to Americans

The first thought that ran through my head when I saw the trailer for TBS’ new sitcom ‘Chad’ was, “What the hell is this and why does this kid look so weird?” The second thought, which came quickly after was, “Wait, is this supposed to be an Iranian kid?” To my horror, the kid is Iranian. Now I would have to speak up for all Iranian-Americans and make sure anyone who talked to me about this offensive show was set straight that it was not, in any way, representative of Iranians and Iranian-Americans, or as they like to say on the show, “Persians” and “Persian-Americans.”

Press play to hear a narrated version of this story, presented by AudioHopper.

There are many, many things wrong with ‘Chad’. The main inescapable issue is that the showrunner, writer, producer and 39-year-old Iranian-American woman, Nasim Pedrad also plays the super-awkward, annoying crybaby who is the titular character, a 14-year-old Iranian-American boy.

Audiences know Pedrad from her five-year run as a cast member on Saturday Night Live, as well as starring on New Girl, Scream Queens, Mulaney, and People of Earth. If that wasn’t enough to solidify Pedrad’s notable talents as an actor and gifted comedian, she also appeared in Aladdin, Desperados, Despicable Me, The Lorax, and Cooties. Which is why when Pedrad is in the driver’s seat of her own show, it’s baffling that it is so very terrible.

What possessed Pedrad to cast herself as Chad? She is not the first to make this questionable decision. The obvious reference is Pen15, which also has adults, Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle, who look like adults, portraying adolescents. But Erskine and Konkle are winking broadly at the audience while bleating baby talk and simulating masturbation. No one would expect teenage actors to do these things, so they get away with it

In interviews Pedrad has given about Chad, she acknowledges the oddness of her choice to play a teen boy and talks about how everyone tried to dissuade her. She persisted anyway, and as a result, we have a child who looks older than his mother. Chad is so distracting looking—and unlikeable and unconvincing—it’s difficult to focus on the rest of the show. And even though ‘Chad’ positions itself as a cringe comedy, it goes way, way over the cringe line into straight anger at just how bad it is.

Not much Iranian-ness

None of this addresses the fact that ‘Chad’ is the first sitcom to feature Iranian-Americans as its central characters. For an ethnic group that has a significant population in the United States, and has provided a steady stream of immigrants for the last 80 years, representation—certainly positive representation (will we ever live down the Shahs of Sunset?)—on television is long overdue.

Even so, ‘Chad’ does not deliver the Iranian-American goods. This sitcom-by-numbers has only a hint of very occasional references to the ethnicity of its main character and his family. Chad himself could be any generic social misfit, with predictable problems ,who is bad at sports and wants to be part of the cool crowd at school. What Pedrad is really doing is borrowing heavily from Freaks and Geeks and interpreting it extremely badly.

Chad’s family is interchangeable with any other sitcom family: single mom, cool younger sister, dorky but loving uncle. All of whom are far removed from any of the steadfast Iranian cultural touchpoints and traditions. Pedrad told EW, “I wanted to make something that felt really true to my experience growing up in America as a child of immigrants.” There is no evidence of this on ‘Chad’. Iranians have definitely assimilated over the years, but Chad is overly Westernized across the two generations of its main characters.

The mom is dating a far-too-hip Black guy with whom she makes out on the couch. Later, Chad walks in on them, mostly unclothed, in bed. And then the whole family jokes about her sex life the next morning at breakfast. That would never happen. The uncle—who does an appalling Iranian accent—is not only a disposable character but supremely unfunny. Why is Chad calling his uncle by his first name? That’s an absolute no-no in Iranian culture, which revolves around respecting elders.

The younger sister has a bit of zing to her, but a non-Iranian actor plays her. Considering there are only four roles for Iranians in this show, they could have at least cast all Iranians. Where are the other Iranians in this sitcom community? How come this family lives in a place where they are the only ones of their kind? This is yet another un-Iranian characteristic of ‘Chad’.

All the characters on ‘Chad’ are devoid of personality, except for Chad, who has a personality, but it is so overwhelming and so irritating, it sucks the life out of everything around it. This brat has a tantrum-y cry, bawling screaming tears, in every episode. Is this supposed to show how Iranian mothers dote on their sons so they remain giant babies? That’s not coming across. This spoilt kid needs a giant slap to straighten him out and stop his incessant whining.

The writing has sporadic moments of wit, but the execution is a mess.’Chad’ misses the mark over and over again. Pedrad shopped the show for five years before she found a sucker to take it on, that should have been the hint to drop this project before it got started.

You May Also Like

Lily Moayeri

Lily Moayeri has been a freelance journalist since 1992. She has contributed to numerous publications including Variety, Spin, GRAMMY, Billboard, NPR, Rolling Stone, Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Magazine, A.V. Club, and more. Lily hosts the Pictures of Lily Podcast, a monthly podcast about her interviewing experiences. She has participated as moderator and panelist at numerous music conferences. She has also served as an educator since 2004, focusing on guiding students in navigating the intersection of technology and education in her role as a teacher librarian with LAUSD. www.pictures-of-lily.com

16 thoughts on “‘Chad’ is Very Bad

• May 12, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Brutally out of touch article, crtical consensus says the show is amazing, and it really is.

• May 14, 2021 at 1:16 am

“Chad is Actually Pretty Rad”

Lily’ doesn’t know squat. It’s a pretty funny show. You know Chad is a bit of a douche but you let it slide because like Lily he doesn’t know any better. There’s some pretty funny writing and I actually lost Pedrad in a matter of seconds really and I only saw Chad which is not easy. Yes, he’s odd looking. Yes, his Iranian-ness isn’t culturally deep but why would it be? I’m glad she shopped it around for 5 years. Chad’s a cool little dude underneath it all. The girl who tried to bang him is great. His best friend is a star. His mom sweet and his uncle even sweeter. Lastly, there’s a nice balance of real moments/insights and funny stupidity. I enjoyed this show right out the gate and look forward to seeing Chad’s sophmore year.
    His sister’s great, too. Super understated and doesn’t get in the way. Again, nicely balanced. I give this show a strong B which in the world of TV is saying something. Nice work Pedrad! Thank you for introducing us to Chad. He’s a dick but a sweet dick at that.

• May 17, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Y’all must be the typical Americans who sit their fat ass on the couch with a bag of chips in their hands taking in everything that comes on tv and praising it.

• April 24, 2022 at 10:08 pm

The show is as Lily says… It’s horrible. I knew immediately it was a girl and her voice was like fingers down the chalkboard. I kept trying to look for an Adam’s apple, anything… to help this atrocity make sense. I don’t know this girl from Saturday night live cuz I don’t watch it but that’s not even the point it’s just so disturbing and to find out she’s 39 was just ridiculous. There’s so many other shows that have the same concept without unfortunately the Iranian American part in in the shows that are so much better this is just wasted time and wasted space wasted money just waste

• May 18, 2021 at 8:28 pm

I’m assuming some of these comments are from public relations teams who are annoyed a critic stood up and also was honest about Nasim’s awful portrayal; of an Iranian teenage boy. I do not know one normal person who likes this show. It is bad… really bad.

• April 25, 2022 at 10:40 am

I wholeheartedly agree!!!

• May 21, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Ridiculously shallow and inept review. If they paid the reviewer at the rate of a thousand bucks an hour for her time, she probably earned about fifty cents writing it.

• May 25, 2021 at 8:12 pm

Good review. Show sucks. Plz cancel

• May 31, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Thank god someone wrote a review that in every way captures how I feel about this show – it utterly lacks entertainment value – unfortunately my GF is in love with it so it’s one of the few shows I must leave the room when she is watching…

• September 8, 2021 at 12:10 am

Well, it’s not the worst show on TBS but it is the most pathetic full episode I’ve ever sat through! Another half hour I can never get back.

• March 26, 2022 at 2:17 am

Worst show on television and chad looks like a freak and so annoying looking I cant even stand to watch. I think some one went crazy with the lip injections and god knows what else. Who puts this crap on TV? I rather see reruns of the adams family then Chad lip injections botox wierdness. Plus the show is not even funny. I hope they are not going to try a second season cause that would be a big mistake.

• May 1, 2022 at 11:29 pm

The show is hilarious. Why is it a problem that there isn’t a bunch of Iranians. That’s why chad is kinda an outcast cause there aren’t many Iranians at his school and he just wants to be normal and fit in. Its smart humor that a lot of ppl don’t realize the joke similar to arrested development with deep jokes. I guess only smart ppl think it’s funny cause it has a 81% on rotten tomatoes

• May 1, 2022 at 11:33 pm

I bet a lot of ppl who are hating it prob love Adam sandler movies or rob Schneider kinda movies

• April 13, 2022 at 8:58 pm

I love this show. I’m only Persian adjacent but I just find the show hilarious. I love everything about it. First show I’ve ever been willing to watch over and over for the laughs. It’s a matter of taste!

• May 1, 2022 at 11:44 pm

100% right I watched the season 3 times and I couldn’t stop laughing. It is really smart jokes and it’s so awkward which makes it so good. If you don’t find it funny when they find the mini fridge and chad says under no circumstances is that coming in this…car. And it cuts to it in the car

• May 1, 2022 at 11:51 pm

Chad is such a great show I watched the season 3 times and it got funnier everytime. The jokes are really sharp and witty and the awkwardness is amazing. It has a 81 rotten tomatoes score so it seems like ppl like it a lot. Nothing funnier than the mini fridge scence